History

HISTORY

1949

The Mission is founded by a group of businessmen who believed that God was calling them to reach out to the homeless, hungry and needy with the gospel of Jesus Christ. They desired to reach people who would never step inside a church because of their poor clothing. These men became the first Board of Directors and incorporated the Capital City Rescue Mission in 1950.

1953

Under Superintendent Rev. Wilford Fowler, the building at 50 Hudson Ave is purchased, enabling the Mission to sleep people overnight for the first time. A women’s auxiliary is also organized. They pray, fellowship, volunteer, take up collections and are instrumental in laying a strong foundation for the Mission.

1965

The Settlement House at 77 South Ferry St was given to the Mission where they hold a children and youth ministry. They provided supplies for families and summer camping scholarships for local neighborhood children.

1982

Board of Directors calls Perry Jones to be Executive Director. He remains Executive Director to this day.

2000

The Mission relocates to a larger facility at 259 South Pearl Street in the south end of Albany.

2003

New Faith Program, a recovery program for women and their children, is established.

2004

Free Medical Clinic is added, offering care for those with no insurance.

2006

New 2,400 sq. ft. clothing distribution center, Blessingdale’s is opened to the public.

2012

Construction on the first floor of apartments in the 50,000 sq. ft. Transitional Living Program (TLP) building is completed.

2014

Blessingdale’s moves to a bigger space in the TLP building. The free Medical Clinic moves to the area vacated by the clothing center.

2015

9-month New Life Program classroom and offices move to the TLP building.

  • 45 transitional living apartments for program graduates are finished.
  • A second 40,000 sq. ft. warehouse building is purchased next door to the TLP building – this will be renovated into a larger facility for the New Faith Program with 14 apartments for women and children, program offices and much more.

2016

All 125 broken and boarded up windows in the new warehouse are replaced with brand new, custom, energy-efficient windows.

Finally, brothers, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored…

~ 2 Thessalonians 3:1

GET HELP:

Location: 259 S. Pearl St, Albany, NY

Monday – Saturday:

  • Breakfast – 6:30 a.m.
  • Lunch – 11:30 a.m. (bag lunches available)
  • Chapel/Dinner – 6:00 p.m.

Sunday:

  • Breakfast – 6:30 a.m.
  • Lunch – 11:30 a.m. (bag lunches available)
  • Chapel/Dinner – 4:00 p.m.

GIVE HELP:

Your donation of $2.05 covers the cost of one hot, meal.

Donate Funds For MealsDonate FoodVolunteer

SHELTER

Emergency shelter for men is available for up to 30 consecutive nights in a 60-man dorm, 24-man dorm and overflow mats.

We have also begun a 6-bed, short-term shelter program for women in cooperation with St. Peter’s Episcopal Church.

Men and women who participate in our addiction recovery programs are sheltered for 9-12 months as part of their program. Transitional housing is available through our Transitional Living Program.

GET HELP:

Location: 259 S. Pearl St, Albany, NY

Come to the front desk to sign in before 5:30 p.m. ID required.

GIVE HELP:

Your donation of $17.20 covers the cost of one night of safe rest.

Donate Funds For ShelterDonate Blankets